Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Burgers & Sushi

Both Tues and Wed where a whirl wind they flew by fast. Tuesday night we had tickets to the Red Sox game. It was crappy weather so we decided to go a little late to the game and eat at a new restaurant that just opened called The Yard House. There menu was huge they had way to many things to choose from which gets me in trouble because I am so indecisive. It was a split second decision and I ended up going with the Hawaiian burger.





The fries were fantastic in my book cut thin, a perfect crispiness and a ton of them! They came with not 1 but 2 dipping sauces a Hawaiian one and some type of aioli and pickles on the side. After dinner we headed to the game where we only lasted until the middle of the 7th inning. The weather was cold, rainy and just plain awful. I did however get my picture taken with a cool golf cart.


 
 Wednesday night I had planned ribs in the crock pot so I got up early to put everything together before work. Here is the recipe I used (from Martha Stewart):
  • 1/2 cup(s) ketchup
  • 1/2 cup(s) packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup(s) cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon(s) mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 pound(s) country-style pork ribs, separated into single ribs
  1. In slow cooker, whisk together ketchup, sugar, vinegar, mustard powder, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
  2. Add ribs to slow cooker, and toss with sauce. Arrange ribs, bone side up, in a single row. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).
  3. Serve ribs drizzled with pan juices and, if desired, barbecue sauce.
Notice anything weird? Maybe not at first but when you start putting everything together in the crock pot the sauce isn't really enough to really fill it. Looking at it I thought to myself I should really add some water or chicken broth something because these are going to burn cooking for 10 hours. 
But instead I reread the recipe just to make sure it didn't say anything about adding additional liquid and said well Maratha Stewart knows what she's doing I closed the lid and left for work.



Fast forward 9 hours and I open my apt door and bam burnt ribs fills the air.  Stupid Martha I will never listen to her again! I felt like this:

source

I didn't take a picture of my masterpiece total fail. But instead for dinner John and I ordered sushi.




Which was a nice treat and healthier than the ribs anyway (so take that Martha Stewart). I had a mango roll and a Boston Red Sox roll which had shrimp, lettuce, cucumber and a sauce inside.

0 comments:

Post a Comment