Monday, April 30, 2012

Black bean quinoa salad


I was on the hunt for a vegetarian meal for dinner tonight when I came across a quinoa black bean salad which sounded great. At the end of the recipe it said serve with pitas or tortillas so I thought why not make them into tacos! Besides everything is better in taco form. Here's the recipe for the salad:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, (see Note)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 small mango, diced (see Tip)
  • 1 small red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup canned black beans, (see Tips for Two), rinsed
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced



For the tacos I had toppings of avocado, lettuce and tomatoes, I just added avocado and tomato to mine.



I thought these were going to be amazing, but sadly they were just ok. They had a bit of an Asian flavoring going on which I should have expected with adding sesame oil and rice vinegar, duh! Maybe next time I'll try cooking the quinoa in taco seasoning instead adding of adding the sesame oil and rice vinegar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment