Friday, August 17, 2012

I've died and gone to tomato heaven

Early this week I stopped by Whole Foods to pick up some grocery for myself and when you walk in the door they have this beautiful display of heirloom tomatoes. I skipped over it because I didn't need tomatoes this week (that was a mistake) I finished up my shopping and headed home.

All week I couldn't stop thinking about those tomatoes. Now let me preface this by saying until about 2.5 years ago I hated tomatoes, it was a texture thing I couldn't get over it. Then at John's Superbowl party there was a big bowl of cherry tomatoes starring me down and all of a sudden I had a really weird urge to eat one. 

And I did just that and now I can't stop eating them. I would say a good tomato ranks right up there with some of my favorites cheese, pasta and pickles.    

So Wednesday night after work I headed back to Whole Foods just to purchase these lovely things. I had a wise friend tell me once if you aren't sure if you want to spent the money on something don't purchase it immediately. If after a few days your still thinking/in love with the item go ahead and purchase it. Of course she was referring to a purchase of a bigger item but I was still thinking about those tomatoes so I purchased them.

My plan was to make a quiche in sticking with the protein theme this week. So I gathered what I wanted to put in it. 
  • organic ham lunch meat
  • green onions
  • tomatoes



Sliced them all up and started to assemble.


 Then threw is in the oven at 400 for 20 mins. Mean while I had some extra tomato left so I sprinkled a little sea salt (because I am learning that sea salt is the best) then and started eating. 

 And upon the first bite OH MY GOD! Hands down these are the best tomatoes I have ever had!! I can't even begin to describe it I was speechless. It was the perfect ripeness a little mushy on the inside but still with a firm skin. I ate almost all of the 2 tomatoes but decided I should probably save some since I was never going to get a tomato this good again. I will always be telling the story- you know that one time I had a tomato that was soo good...

By this time the quiche was done.



So I ate. 

Thanks for reading my tomato story. :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment