Friday, June 15, 2012

Pasta with zucchini and tomatoes

This week for food shopping I decided to hit up Wilson's market instead of the grocery store. Wilson's is basically a huge farmers market about a 15min drive from our apt. I love this place the produce it always fantastic! The only down side is I always have to visit a regular grocery store afterwards because they don't carry staples there so it's always a 2 stop trip.

This week I went a little further and spoiled myself with bread from Great Harvest, I bought a Dakota Seeded Wheat and a Cinnamon raisin for breakfast. There bread is homemade will all natural ingredients and is amazing, it is a little on the pricy side  (about $5 a loaf) but is totally worth it in my book. Plus they have one of those cards if you buy so many loafs you get one free. I fall into these traps a lot I love free things especially on products I  would buy anyway so a free item once in a while is an added bonus.

Anyways back to dinner I bought some zucchini and mixed tomatoes at the market to use for this meal.



The zucchini I cut into thin ribbons and marinated them in the following:
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
 The tomatoes I left as is, then cooked the noodles reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.


Once the noodles were finished I rinsed (sin I know but letting them cool they get sticky, and I hate that) But for the record I only rinse my noodles when I am not using them right away, in case you needed to know. :)

Then in a pan I heated some evoo and added garlic and crushed red peppers and the zucchini. Once the zucchini was cooked I added in the tomaotes to warm them up then the pasta.


Add the reserved cooking water as needed.
One the side I did make garlic bread but accidentally burnt it when I forgot it was in the oven until I started smelling burnt garlic. So instead we just had plain Dakota Seeded Wheat butter bread.




0 comments:

Post a Comment