Thursday, April 19, 2012

Turkey Santa Fe Baked Potato

I still have a crap load of potatoes to use up from my CSA basket so I am trying to find recipes that do not included anything mashed, scalloped, fried and baked.

After a lot of searching I came across this recipe for turkey stuffed potatoes I like turkey and I'll eat the potato especially when I am scooping out all the insides.
People often ask/or can't believe I hate potatoes, after all who hates potatoes? My answer, I just don't know. I hated them as far back as I can remember, when I was younger I would gag just scraping old mash potatoes in the trash the smell, texture, yuck! I am not that bad anymore but I still hate them. 


Here's the recipe (from skinnytaste)
Ingredients:

  • 7 medium (32 oz) russet potatoes, washed and dried
For the filling:
  • 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1 hot pickled serrano pepper, chopped (or jalepeƱo)
  • 1 large diced tomato
  • 1 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chopped onion
  • 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish 
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • kosher salt to taste
For the topping:
  • 14 tbsp reduced fat shredded cheese (I used Sargento Mexican)
  • nonstick spray (Smart Balance)
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • reduced fat sour cream or fat free Greek yogurt (optional, extra pts)
Directions:

  1. Pierce potato with a fork a few times all around. Place in microwave and cook on high about 5 minutes per potato. When finished, allow to cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes in half horizontally. Scoop out potatoes  leaving about 1/4 inch thick wall, skins will weigh about 1 oz each.
  2. In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt. When the turkey is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, serrano pepper, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes.    
  3. Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.  
  4. Heat oven to 450°. Lightly spray potato skins on both sides with oil and place a foil lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake skins for 10 minutes.  
  5. Remove from the oven, add 1/4 cup meat filling into each potato skin, top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese and bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  6. Top with sour cream and scallions.  










Even with the insides scooped out they were too much for me I was only able to eat 1 with the skin so I ate the rest with just the filling. But at least now all my potatoes are gone! I officially added them to my no list going forward.

0 comments:

Post a Comment