Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mini calzones

Don't you just love mini things, especially food items. I don't know what it is about eating mini quiches, cupcakes and mini sandwiches there just so cute. And maybe it's because you can eat a bunch and tell yourself you really didn't eat that much because they were just so little.

On the menu for tonight was individual calzones. I had to use up the broccoli in the CSA basket (both John and I hate broccoli) so I had to come up with a way we were not eating it straight. It's suggested that it's genetic (Don't care for Broccoli).

For the stuffing I used the following:
  • 2/3 cup of chopped broccoli
  • 2/3 cup of any type of meat (I used organic spicy chicken sausage)
  • 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 t pepper



You can really make these with any kind of stuffing you prefer meat lovers, vegetarian, vegan, cheese packed, you get the idea. :)  
For the calzone I bought whole wheat pizza dough and rolled it out.


Then I used a bowl that was about 6 inches in diameter and cut out 4 circles. Then stuffed each circle with 1/3 cup of the stuffing. Folded each in half to make half moons and pinched together the sides.


I ended up with more dough then stuffing so I made more stuffing, enough to fill 2 more calzones. I baked them in the oven on 350 for 20-25 minutes.
*Important-Don't forget to pierce tiny slits in them before baking. I forgot and I had a blow out on one calzone!

For a dipping sauce I used jar spaghetti sauce I had leftover in the fridge. If you don't like spaghetti sauce you could use pizza sauce or just go plain.





Now these were something to write home about! And look at all that broccoli! They were cute and yummy the perfect amount, I am super excited about the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment