Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Some type of pasta with Sausage and Peas


I'm not going to lie or make excuses for this week or last for that matter but this is the only night this week I am going to cook. John hasn't been home for dinner for what seems like weeks (reality 2 weeks) and I just don't have the energy to cook. So the only option in my head that makes sense is comfort food, something delicious, hearty, warms your insides. Pasta!
I found a recipe for Bucatini with Sausage and Peas but I didn't have fresh peas from my garden or wild boar sausage from the local butcher right down the road. So I used these ingredients instead:

makes 3 servings

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2  pieces of hot turkey sausage, casings removed
  • 1 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
  • 1T heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
  • Salt
  • 1 pound of pasta
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 2 tablespoons shredded basil 
  1.  In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
  2. Partially cover the saucepan and cook the tomato sauce over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir in the cream and peas and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes longer. Season with salt.
  3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot. Add the tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and toss over low heat for 2 minutes, until the pasta absorbs some of the sauce. 


For the pasta I turned to my pasta wheel I received for Christmas this year.And decided on this one (not sure what this type is called, hence the name of the post).






The final product was glorious, creamy and amazing.



0 comments:

Post a Comment