Monday, January 23, 2012

Grapefruit souffles with ginger

So I have a list of things that I want to try cooking/baking in the new year, well lets be honest these things I have been wanting to make for years now. But I finally decided to buckle down and start checking things off my list.  new year = new goals.

First thing off my list a souffle. What is a souffle? I don't know, I don't know what they are suppose to taste like or the texture of them is suppose to be. The only thing that comes to mind is the movie Because I said So with Mandy Moore who is a baker and she mentioned in the movie she can "just feel" when they are done.

So when I came across this recipe for a grapefruit ginger one I knew I had to make it, because I am more of a fruit dessert person then super sweet desserts.

I set out mixing all the ingredients together whipping egg whites to soft glossy peaks, mixing the custard like portion with the glossy peaks and so forth. When I finished I put them in the small ramekins and into the oven with fingers crossed.



I was nervous that I would not "just feel" when they were done as I have never had this feeling before with any dessert I made. So of course I did the absolute no no with baking and opening the oven door every few minutes or so to peak at them to see if they were rising. This is what I saw:





SUCCESS!!!




The last sentence of the recipe was Serve immediately. Done I immediately took one as soon as they came out and devoured it. I wasn't to sure about it at first but the more I dug in the more I love it. John on the other hand came home just in time to see me put all the ingredients together and his reaction: I think all I taste is egg. Really John!

For the record this is totally not true the grapefruit and ginger flavors are totally present over the egg!


Here is the recipe:
  • Unsalted butter, for ramekins, room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cup(s) (from about 3 red grapefruits) fresh grapefruit juice
  • 1 tablespoon(s) finely grated fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar , plus more for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon(s) finely grated red-grapefruit zest
  • 5 large egg yolks , room temperature
  • 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup(s) Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoon(s) Greek yogurt
  • 9 large egg whites , room temperature
  • 1 pinch(s) coarse salt
  • 1 pinch(s) cream of tartar
  • Confectioners' sugar , for dusting
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter six 6-ounce ramekins. Dust with granulated sugar, and refrigerate, uncovered.
  2. Bring juice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in ginger.
  3. Combine 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and zest. Whisk in yolks, cornstarch, and flour, and then the juice mixture. Return to pan. Set over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Let mixture cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature. Stir in yogurt.
  4. With a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form. With machine running, gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Gently fold in grapefruit mixture in 3 additions.
  5. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins, and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden and puffed, 20 to 25 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment