Sunday, November 27, 2011

Homemade chicken noodle soup

John's sickness continued all day today, we were trying to figure out where/how he got sick. We figured it couldn't be the food since we ate the same thing and I was feeling fine. Then I was looking on facebook and saw Liz (who hosted the ugly sweater party) was also sick with the bug. Then I started to read all the comments and turns out 3/4th of the people that came to the party were also sock with the bug! Somebody came infected!!

We had to cancel Sunday football dinner and instead I decided to make homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner. Of course I turned to my favorite bloggers to find a recipe The Pioneer Woman. I used her recipes since most of her recipes are always just plain good down home cooking.
  • 1 whole Cut Up Fryer Chicken
  • 2 whole Carrots, Diced
  • 2 stalks Celery, Diced
  • 1/2 whole Medium Onion, Diced (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper (more To Taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground Thyme
  • 2 teaspoons Parsley Flakes
  • 16 ounces, weight Frozen "homemade" Egg Noodles
  • 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
Cover chicken in 4 quarts water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove chicken from pot with a slotted spoon. With two forks, remove as much meat from the bones as you can, slightly shredding meat in the process. Return bones to broth and simmer on low, covered, for 45 minutes.

Remove bones from broth with a slotted spoon, making sure to get any small bones that might have detached.

Add the carrots and celery (and onions, if using) to the pot, followed by the herbs and spices. Stir to combine and simmer for ten minutes to meld flavors.

Increase heat and add frozen egg noodles and chicken. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.

Mix flour and a little water. Stir until smooth. Pour into soup, stir to combine, and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until broth thickens a bit. Test and adjust seasonings as needed.

Posted by on January 25 2010

It turned out really good, but unfortunately John was only able to eat a small bowl. I was still feeling good until 11pm rolled around and then it hit....


Post a Comment