Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 3 of apples-Spiced apple cookies

I was looking for things to do with all the apples I have besides normal apple recipes (pie, crisp, ect.). I came across a recipe for spiced apple cookies which are suppose to be an apple pie but in cookie form. How can you go wrong, apple pie is a American staple and to have it in cookie form well do I need to say more?

ingredients

½ c. shortening ( I used butter instead)
1 1/3 c. dark brown sugar
1 egg
¼ c. whole milk
2 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground cloves
 ½ t. ground nutmeg
½ t. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. unpeeled apple, finely chopped (I use a juicy, sweet variety like McIntosh)

instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat together shortening and brown sugar until full combined. Add egg and milk and mix ingredients well.
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients, scraping down the sides as necessary, until everything is fully combined.
4. Stir chopped apple and walnuts into the batter with a wooden spoon.



5. Drop cookies by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper. Press the tops of the cookie down with your top two fingers so they are slightly flattened.





6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies hold their shape and are slightly browned on the edges.



The only substitute I made was instead of the shortening I used butter.  
The cookie mix makes roughly about 36 cookies (3 batches of 12). The 2nd batch turned out really well and did taste like apple pie but in more of a cake texture. Your probably wondering what happen to the 1st and 3rd batches. Well the first batch was ok but turns out I took them out a little to early. They looked done but when they cooled they were actually still a little doughy in the middle. The 3rd batch well I was making dinner and I kinda forgot they were in the oven. opps! These were not edible.... Despite all this I would recommend giving them a try, especially if you prefer cookies over pie. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment