Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pumpkin chili

I was so excited to make this chili tonight for dinner Sarah, Renate and I use to make this when we lived together. I remember it being sooo good a perfect dinner introduction to fall foods. I got home from work and immediately started making the chili so it could simmer and the flavors blend together. I started with this recipe from all recipes.com for the base

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender. 
2. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown. Drain, and mix in tomatoes and pumpkin. 
3. Season with chili powder, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. 
4. Serve topped with Cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving  Calories: 285 | Total Fat: 16.6g | Cholesterol: 76mg

To the chili I added black beans, corn, cumin and a bay leaf and red pepper flakes for spice. I mixed it all together and gave it a little taste so excited that I would taste heaven as I remember. I took a spoon full from the pot, raised it to my mouth and fail.... it tasted bland it had no flavor. I don't know what I did wrong so I added some more spices and set it to simmer for a while thinking the flavors needed to come together. By the time John came home the chili tasted better but not as good as I remembered. Oh well, I guess that means I'll have to give it another whirl. :)


a little sour cram and cheese on top


0 comments:

Post a Comment