Monday, October 17, 2011

New World chili

I'm not exactly why this is called new world chili or what makes it "new world" or to be honest where I got the recipe but it is pretty good. I have been making this recipe for a few years now and even brought it to my friend Emily's crock pot dinner last year.  I think it is a great alternative to regular hamburg and beans chili and healthier too! I am not sure how to describe it maybe it has a little bit of a sweeter taste to it then regular chili due to the cranberries and squash?  Here is what you'll need:
Ingredients (from the internet somewhere)
  • 1  lb.  turkey breast tenderloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1  28-oz. can  diced tomatoes
  • 1  15-oz. can  black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1  8-oz. can  tomato sauce
  • 1  cup  peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash or pumpkin
  • 1  medium  onion, chopped
  • 1/2  cup  low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2  cup  frozen whole kernel corn
  • 1/2  cup  dried cranberries
  • 1    fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1  Tbsp.  chili powder
  • 1  clove  garlic, minced
  • 2  cups  shredded fresh spinach
  • 4  oz.  Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, shredded (1 cup)

Directions

1. In a 5-quart slow cooker combine turkey, undrained tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, squash, onion, the 1/2 cup chicken broth, corn, cranberries, jalapeño pepper, chili powder, and garlic.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. If desired, stir in additional broth to reach desired consistency. Stir in spinach just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. 
Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts

  • Calories301,
  • Total Fat (g)7,
  • Saturated Fat (g)4,
  • Monounsaturated Fat (g)2,
  • Polyunsaturated Fat (g)1,
  • Cholesterol (mg)64,
  • Sodium (mg)1051,
  • Carbohydrate (g)35,
  • Total Sugar (g)15,
  • Fiber (g)8,
  • Protein (g)29,
  • Vitamin C (DV%)43,
  • Calcium (DV%)24,
  • Iron (DV%)20, 
all ingredients added into dutch oven
 I actually cheated and made this last night while I was cooking the beef stew for 2 reasons:
a) I didn't want to start it when I got home from work because I wouldn't be eating until really really late
b) I am to lazy to dig out  my crock pot to cook it while I'm at work, because it's in the most inconvenient cabinet in the most inconvenient spot. (see below)  


see it in the wayyy in the back


with cheese

Note to John
This is day 1 while you are away and no pasta is yet to be had for dinner, but it is still early ;) 
-Love Michele

0 comments:

Post a Comment