Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beef Stew

Another football Sunday has arrived! I still wasn't feeling spectacular but I had the Memphis Soul 5Km BBQ on my schedule this morning. I had signed up for this race a while back but it was canceled due to the hurricane we had come through. So I pulled my self out of bed, John was feeling worse so he had planned to meet me when the race ran past our apartment complex. I arrived with 10 minutes to spare so I did some stretching and checked out all the runners who were dressed in Elvis attire. (I'm sad to say I didn't have my camera) The race started and off I went, I wasn't sure how I would do since my knee isn't in tip top condition and well I'm out of shape. When I was a few minutes from our street I called John which sounded like this:
Me: (huffing) I'm..... at the (huffing).....the rotary.... 
John: what
Me: I'M AT THE ROTARY!!!!
John: ohh ok see you in a few
Me: I hung up


John got there in time just to see me run by, then he walked over to Davis square (where the race ended) to meet me. 




Afterwards we headed back to the apt to relax and watch football with Cart and Timmy. For dinner John was in the mood for something hearty so I decided to make baked beef stew and monkey bread for dessert. This beef stew has all the yummy things in it a regular stew does but is cooked in the oven instead.
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
  • 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 strips celery, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 3 potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 slice bread, cubed
carrots, celery, onions and potaotes


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the stew meat; drain and set aside.
  3. In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, tapioca, beef bouillon granules, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the beef, carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, and bread cubes. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
  4. Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender. 


homemade garlic bread as a side
The monkey bread was a recipe that was in the cooking light magazine. As I was making it John, Cart and Timmy didn't know what it was they have never heard of it, I couldn't believe it! Monkey bread was a childhood staple growing up everyone always loved it. I don't know what's wrong with them ;) But they did eat it up and I sent them home with the leftovers since John will be gone all week and I didn't want to eat it all myself. :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment