Monday, April 9, 2012

Soup with leftover Chee kufta

Yesterday with Easter dinner you might have noticed a raw meat dish we had.


I only know how to pronounce it (and not that well, John always corrects me). But I tried googling a couple of different combination of things before I think I finally found it, Armenian raw meat dishes was the search winner.  The description sounds correct but the spelling does not even look close to what it sounds like.

 Chee kufta is a type of raw meat dish in which ground beef is used, usually the expensive high-quality beef variety since all the fat and tendons are removed. According to wikipedia in Armenian this is prepared only on special occasions and can be served in meatball form or spread flat on a plate. The meat is mixed with bulgur and scallions, onions and parsley can be spread on top and usually served with a tomato sauce based dressing and Armenian bread.

I don't remember the first time I had this dish but I remember being a little nervous to try it. It is surprisingly really good, the texture is not bad at all and the flavor is really good. John's family always eats it with a type of bread and a tomato dressing. There was so many leftovers yesterday John's mom sent us home with 2 of these meatballs. She told me growing up John and his sister would always eat it cooked in chicken broth growing up, so I decided to give it a try.

I used low sodium chicken broth.

and dumped in all the parsley and onions

Then used the 2 bigger pieces and rolled them into smaller size ones.




It came out great, I though. John thought the color of the broth was off (geez John) but tasted the same as when his mother made it. I used chicken broth and his mom used chicken bullion cubes so depending on the water to cube ratio it would determine how dark it is.
For a side I made spinach salad with cranberries, walnuts and feta.

0 comments:

Post a Comment