Saturday, March 31, 2012

Loaded fries and chili

Today is an exciting day Sarah my bestie is coming to visit! She is on spring break from med school this week so she decided she wanted to do a food tour of Vermont so of course who better to go along me! Cheese, ice cream and beer count me in!  Before we picked Sarah up we had an appointment to look at Willowdale in Topsfield. When we arrived it was amazing!








The food was amazing (especially the mini tarts with feta) and the venue gorgeous! Unfortunately it also comes with a crazy price tag. :(

After the tour we headed to the grocery store to stock up on things for dinner then home to cook. I had a ton of potatoes to use up from the CSA basket and I don't really have a love for them, so I was trying to find a recipe to use them in a way I would enjoy. I think I found success.

Skinny Texas Cheese Fries  (skinnytaste)
Servings:
2 • Serving Size: 1/2 • Old Points: 6 pt • Points+: 7 pt
Calories:
259 • Fat: 12.3 g • Protein: 10.1 g • Carb: 29 g • Fiber: 2.9 g • Sugar: 1.4 g
Sodium:
590.5 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium potatoes (2/3 lb total), yukon gold or russet, washed and dried (skin on)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 slice center cut bacon, cooked & finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbsp diced scallions
  • 1 tbsp sliced pickled Jalapeno (jarred on canned)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Lightly coat with cooking spray.

Cut each potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thin slices; then cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries.
In a large bowl, combine cut potatoes and oil; toss well. Add seasoning (paprika to salt and pepper). Toss to coat.

Place potatoes in a single layer on a lightly greased large baking sheet. Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until tender crisp, turning once half way through (depending on thickness this may require more or less time).  

Remove from oven, place fries into two small oven safe dishes (or one large dish for sharing), top with cheddar cheese, sliced jalapenos, scallions and bacon bits and return to oven for  about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.





Now these were potatoes that I could eat, I mean anything covered in cheese and bacon has to be good.  I also heated up some leftover all American chili I had in the freezer.


Loaded fries and chili perfect combo!

Now off to pick Sarah up!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment